Saturday, October 2, 2010

a tip for keeping fresh flowers

When someone (your beaux, a friend, a secret admirer) gives you flowers, it's a lovely gesture that we want to keep on our tables for as long as possible. The same is true even if you cut the flowers from your backyard garden. I've come across a lot of hints and tips on how to increase the longevity of your fresh flowers and I've pretty much combined bits and pieces from a variety of sources. My dad buys my mom "Friday flowers" every week and I tried to teach her how to put them together last night.
Step 1: Cut all of the stems at an angle. (She says you're supposed to cut them under running water, I've never done this but it can't hurt.)
Step 2: Fill your vase 3/4 of the way full of room temperature water. Strip off all the leaves that will be below the water line. They will rot if you leave them in the water, causing the flowers to rot more quickly.
Step 3: Pour 1 tablespoon of sugar (white, granulated) into the water followed by 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Mix it up until dissolved. The vinegar kills bacteria in the water and the sugar nourishes the plant.
Step 4: Arrange your flowers and make sure to fish out any leaves that fall into the water.

I don't bother with flower food or anything like that because this list keeps the flowers alive for a surprisingly long time! Happy Arranging!

No comments:

Post a Comment