Sunday, October 3, 2010

manners are for children Part 2

As a follow up to my Manners are for Children post, I turned to my trusty Emily Post encyclopedia.

It's honestly one of my favorite books EVER. I know this sounds lame, it is -a little bit- but it is so incredibly helpful that I turn to it at least once a month. Emily's daughter Peggy put together the book and the index is very comprehensive, but like an encyclopedia, it's divided up into sections.I went straight for the "Children and Teens" section to see how my ideas matched up to Madam Post's rules.
I'll quote from what she says and you can match them up to my earlier post. (In the future, I'll probably put the two in the same post together.)

"A guest's first duty is to show up on time and greet the host courteously.
Respect the host's home: No rough play. no peeking in drawers or handling valuables. No feet on the furniture." (sounds a little like Francine's home, no?)
Children should also: "Accept food that is served, Cooperate and participate in activities, Offer to help, Thank the host and leave on time."

I agree with all of the above. I do not have my own children (obviously) but this is how my siblings and I were expected to behave, and we did. It may seem like a lot of rules but in reality this is not a lot to expect from a child who is at least 8 years old.
Agree? Disagree? Shoot me a comment and let me know how you feel!

{It is also polite to cite the sources you use in any writing you do. So here, in MLA format is my recognition...}

Post, Peggy, and Emily Post. Emily Post's Etiquette. New York: HarperCollins, 2004. Print.

2 comments:

  1. i agree. lilli is very polite for an almost 4 year old and it is only because i started with her early! and i know it will continue on because i am constantly on top of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilli is one of the most well mannered kids I know. Props to you for being such a good mommy!

    ReplyDelete