Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day!

Today should get much more recognition than it does. The veterans are an incredible important part of our country's history and heritage and we do not give them enough honor and respect for the job they do. Think about it, if someone tried to attack you on the street and a good Samaritan came up and fought for you what would you do? I'm sure there would be some attempt to repay them for their kind service. Now imagine that that same good soul was willing to die for you in this fight. They don't even know you but they're willing to give their life to protect you. That's what our soldiers are doing and they are not thanked enough for it, what's worse - many of our brave soldiers are now homeless and living on the street. What kind of repayment is that?

I will be the first to admit I'm guilty of this. Today I went shopping and then I worked. The day passed without any recognition except these thoughts in my mind. I can try to lie to you and say I feel good about putting money into the economy and blah blah. Not true, I feel guilty that I didn't do anything to recognize the service these great men and women did for us. From now on, I'm going to make a conscious effort to do something good on this day. It's not a free holiday, countless soldiers died for it. Let's honor it.

~go to a Veteran's Day parade and cheer your heart out.
~volunteer at a soup kitchen, homeless shelter, or veteran's hospital
~write and send a letter to the troops
~make a holiday gift box for a service member - even if you don't know one
~visit and clean up a veteran's cemetery
~and by all means, WHENEVER you see a soldier, thank them for their efforts

1 comment:

  1. I hope I get to see some soldiers like you did in your American flag dress and thank them for their hard work!
    On a side note: I guess it makes sense, but Sept. 11th meant NOTHING to anyone here, I mentioned it to my old host family and they were like ehh so? It really upset me and weirded me out, so later on I said some prayers aloud in a semblence of public recognition of that day

    ReplyDelete