Sunday, November 7, 2010

home videos

In addition to the things listed in the last post, I'd like everyone to try and bring back their old home videos. Priceless hours of entertainment are sure to follow. Today I watched my parent's wedding video and I was cracking up the whole time. After they joined me, they mentioned how sad it was to see the tape and know how many people had passed away. This is totally not the point. I was watching to see not only those people in a happy light, but everyone I know now, before they knew me. If your parents have one, whip it out, I guarantee some laughs.

Later in the afternoon, my sister, brother, and I watched tapes from Christmas in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. We nearly got stomach cramps from laughing so hard. Between how high pitched and squeaky my brother's voice was, and how bizarre my sister was (and still is - now we know why) we thoroughly enjoyed the hours spent watching Christmases past. We've never watched these tapes before and it is hilarious to see things you never knew, or never realized were happening while paper was thrown around the room.

One year, Shauna, my sister, snuck up behind the camera and flashed every single one of the Beanie Babies she got right in front of the camera lens. No one else in the room noticed but on film it was priceless.

As much as they are funny, I really appreciated the chance to hear some of my loved ones voices again. I love the pictures I have of my grandparents, and my uncle from some of the good times we had but I promise you nothing compares to hearing their voices again. It's a very sentimental, if bittersweet treat. Watching my Uncle Mike talk to me about our favorite movies is a moment I'll cherish forever, now that I've seen it on tape.

So, I strongly suggest, as the holidays come upon us and families are gathering, screening your home movies as entertainment. Your cousins, grandparents, and whole family will enjoy them and then no one will fight over which football game to watch.

P.S. Speaking of football... GO GIANTS!! 41-7

No comments:

Post a Comment