Thursday, November 18, 2010

Holiday Specials

I love holiday specials...

It started with The Great Pumpkin and Scared Shrekless, then all of my favorite sitcoms and TV shows did Halloween episodes. Now that we're encroaching on thanksgiving it's become acceptable for Christmas commercials to air and I couldn't be more excited! Tonight I enjoyed Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving and it put me in such a festive mood. I think what makes me most happy about these things is that other people are watching the same thing as me at the same time! It means I'm not the only one in the holiday spirit and it means that the station heads are acknowledging that people want to gather together and celebrate the holidays - year after year. It's a national acknowledgment of our national holidays- where sometimes we're moving too fast to appreciate the reason we have a day off from work.

Tonight we were told to expect ABC's next holiday special on December 7th, when Prep & Landing will air followed by Charlie Brown's Christmas. I'm sure we have many more to look forward to on network television; not to mention the countdowns on cable TV. The Hallmark channel has already started airing Christmas movies beginning at 4pm everyday and ABC Family's Countdown to the 25 days of Christmas begins this weekend. Like I said, I have the holiday stamina to enjoy this until January, but I can understand those who would be a little overwhelmed. My best advice would be to enjoy the season and all of the things it brings to you. We often wonder why Christmas spirit can't last all year long, but with this extension to mid-November it looks like it's heading in that direction. As long as the heart of the spirit stays true, we have nothing to worry about but enjoying the beauty of the holiday season.

The thing I love the most about the Charlie Brown specials is that they haven't changed in 40 years. When my parents were sitting with their families watching it they were enjoying it just as much as my brother, sisters and I love it. These specials also start traditions - another thing I love- because as a jobless 22 year old, it's nice to settle back into the things that were important when I was 6. I have a lot more to say on this topic but it's mostly personal stuff that would bore you - so if you're interested, send out a comment and I'll fill you in but in not... here's my parting message, in an image as a picture really is worth 1,000 words.


photo courtesy of:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Charlie-Brown-Thanksgiving-Blu-ray/12870/

1 comment: